Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

I give this film 5 stars because I'm impressed with the director's sense of originality. Indeed, Mr. Gilliam presents another baffling, intriguing and entertaining foray into the life of an "eccentric". I only watched it once, because the rental I had was due back, but I will correct that soon. Being Heath Ledger's last effort captured on film was certainly enough to draw me, and he's quite fine. Gilliam made a smart choice to have Ledger's "alter-ego" played by the celebrated trio of Depp, Farrell and Law. It's all commendable, and generally successful. I enjoyed Tom Waits as Mr. Nick; his rare film appearances have always entertained me, especially in Altman's "Short Cuts". Also admirable is Lily Cole, quite charming and believable. There's no question that this film, as well as most of Mr. Gilliam's efforts, requires repeated viewings. There's also little mention of Christopher Plummer's fine performance; as in "12 Monkeys", no one seems to remember that Bruce Willis was the main character. Also, no question that this film is worth a look for stunning sets and visuals, original fun, and the last effort of the very fine Heath Ledger.

the imaginarium of doctor parnassus

No comments:

Post a Comment